Minestrone soup is a vegetable soup that can be made completely vegetarian if you desire, but this recipe is made with a chicken broth to give it an extra boost of flavor. Minestrone can also be made with potato rather
than pasta, it’s up to you. Minestrone soup is one of those hearty meals that can work for almost any meal, be frozen and can even be fed to kids (if you are serving to kids be sure to make it with pasta rather than potato).
- In a large pot add the olive oil and turn the fire to a medium high heat until the oil is hot.
- Next add the onion, carrot and celery to the pot.
- Season it with salt and pepper and stir.
- Then add the water, chicken base, thyme, basil, bay leaf and tomatoes. Stir.
- Bring the liquid and vegetables to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Then add the, zucchini, kale and beans to the pot.
- Stir everything and simmer for 12 more minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Finally, add red wine vinegar, cheese and cook, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls and serve with some pesto.
What is your favorite winter soup?